PIL fears damage to Cotton’s dam
By Express News Service - HYDERABAD
11th August 2012 10:48 AM
A public interest petition was filed in the AP High Court on Friday against the construction of a mini hydel power project on the branch anicut of the Godavari at Dummugudem village in Khammam district.
Petitioner R Nageswara Rao, president of the Save Earth Society, requested the court to direct SLS Power Corporation, Bengaluru, not to damage the 150-year old Sir Arthur Cotton anicut by constructing a 21 MW mini hydel power project.
Rao wanted the court to prod the authorities to restraining the corporation from causing damage to the anicut.
He said the construction would cause irreparable loss and damage to farmers in the surrounding villages.
A representation against the project was submitted to the concerned authorities on June 19 this year, but no action has been taken till date, he added.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers