First grade hair fetches Rs 20,000 per kilo for TTD
By Express News Service - TIRUMALA
22nd January 2013 09:42 AM
For the first time in the history of the TTD, a Mumbai-based bidder bagged first category of human hair for Rs 20,185 per kg as against Rs 20,160. Earlier the first category was sold for not more than Rs 17,000 per kg.
The TTD in joint collaboration with the Material Scrap Trading Corporation (MSTC) has been conducting ‘e-auctioning’ of human hair by inviting global tenders.
It is estimated that over one crore devotees offer their hair to the presiding deity, Lord Venkateswara, in fulfilment of their prayers every year. Based on the length, quality, and colour the hair is segregated into six different categories and sold in the open market.
The files regarding the auctioning were put for ratification at the TTD Board meeting held here on Monday. There are five categories of hair excluding the grey hair. According to latest auctioning the second category was quoted at Rs 18,655 per kg against the upset price of Rs 18,650 per kg. The third category is quoted at Rs 7,451 per kg which the TTD has put for sale in huge quantity of 28,000 kg. The fourth category was auctioned at Rs 5,450 per kg. The fifth category which was put for auctioning at a upset price of Rs 80 per kg found no takers.
The TTD has put 347 kg of grey hair for auctioning, but a buyer bid at Rs 9,362 per kg, which is two times more than the upset price, but the bidder needs only 100 kg of grey hair and the remaining was left unsold after auctioning.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS