‘India needs more Srinivasa Ramanujans’
By Express News Service - HYDERABAD
23rd December 2012 10:24 AM
“India is still living in its past glory. After Srinivasa Ramanujan, the country has not produced a brilliant mathematician such as him.
Only when we produce more such mathematicians can we be called a living nation,” eminent educationist and MLC Chukka Ramaiah has said.
Speaking at the ‘Nischal Math Genius Award-2012’ presentation function held here on Saturday on the occasion of the 125 birth anniversary of noted mathematician Srinivasa Ramunujan, Ramaiah said the government should make more efforts to produce more mathematicians.
“Several smaller countries are producing geniuses. We need to take the initiative,” he said and observed that several young minds were untapped as many people were not able to access education.
S Jaipal Reddy, Union minister for earth sciences & technology, said a new scheme for young geniuses would be launched wherein those with sharp minds would be able to develop their mental skills.
“Ramanujan was a natural genius, and despite being from a poor economic backward, he was able to go abroad and work. In fact, his work is still being deciphered. We need more such geniuses,” he said.
Tamil Nadu governor K Rosaiah, Osmania University registrar V Kishan Rao and others also participated in the programme.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy