Sharmila to have safe passage in Telangana
By Express News Service - HYDERABAD
20th November 2012 10:16 AM
As expected, YSR Congress leader Sharmila’s padayatra will have a safe passage across Telangana districts, just the way TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu had, with the Telangana Joint Action Commititee (JAC) and the TRS not showing any interest in acting against the programme.
“From the beginning, our stand is clear. We want those who are touring Telangana districts with a political agenda to spell out their stand on the issue of state bifurcation. If they do not, we will register our protest. But we are not going to obstruct the padayatra,” TJAC chairman Prof M Kodandaram says.
Sharmila will be entering Telangana at Pullur in Alampur assembly constituency in Mahbubnagar district on November 22 after completing her padayatra in Kadapa, Anantapur and Kurnool districts.
When Chandrababu Naidu’s padayatra entered Mahabubnagar district, the TJAC had planned a protest but even that it could not organise with the police rounding up the leaders, including Kodandaram. Afterwards, Chandrabababu Naidu had faced no trouble anywhere and at present he is touring Medak district.
Even this token protest would not be there for Sharmila since the TJAC had “no time” to think of any protest rallies against her visit.
YSRC to Test its Strength
Meanwhile, YSR Congress leaders in Telangana are waiting for Sharmila’s padayatra to begin so that they could gauge the support for the party in the region. “There would be no trouble from Telangana supporters. Her tour in Telangana districts will be significant since there are YSR admirers in good numbers but they happen to be Telangana supporters too. It remains to be seen whom they would prefer,” said a Telangana leader of the party.
The party is aware of the fact that YS Jagan Mohan Reddy’s assertion at the party’s plenary in Idupulapaya in 2011 that he can neither get Telangana nor prevent it from coming, cannot remain the stand of the party and it would now have to say yes or no to state bifurcation.
“This is a sensitive issue. A large number of people want Jagan Mohan Reddy and at the same time Telangana,” he said adding that this was precisely the reason why instructions had been given to constituency incharges in Mahbubnagar district to consolidate the gains as Sharmila continues her padayatra in the drought-prone district.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers