Loss of Rs 400 crore in East Godavari district
By S S Chary - KAKINADA
19th November 2012 11:12 AM
Nilam Cyclone caused an estimated loss of Rs 400 crore to various crops and nurseries in East Godavari district.
All fields were completely submerged in flood water in various parts of the district.
The main reason for inundation of crops is lack of proper drains, which the government has not maintained for three decades.
Because of this, paddy and other crops in upland areas were also damaged. As many as 138 tanks and 61 drains were breached.
Consequently, the farming community in the district incurred enormous loss this season.
Farmers alleged that the district administration had not guided them properly about the rains and cyclone.
When contacted, officials of the agriculture department said that the final report of crop damage would be submitted to the government soon.
A farmer, K Rama Raju of Polavaram said, “Nilam cyclone struck hard ahead of the harvest season, dashing our hope of a good crop.”
Another farmer M Subba Raidu of Allavaram said, “The farming community is cultivating crops by God’s grace. We cannot tell if the harvested crop will come to us till the last minute. If it rains heavily and natural calamities like cyclones or floods hit our crops, we will be in great trouble.”
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links