Cash-for-bail: Retired judge gets bail
By Express News Service - HYDERABAD
12th October 2012 10:46 AM
Justice Samudrala Govindarajulu of the High Court on Thursday granted bail to retired judge TV Chalapathi Rao in the cash-for-bail scam case involving former Karnataka minister and mining baron Gali Janardhan Reddy.
While granting the bail, the judge observed that offence committed by the accused was not grave enough to punish him with death or life imprisonment. He took into consideration the fact that the investigation was over, final charge-sheet was filed, and the other accused in the case were granted bail.
Justice Govindarajulu directed Chalapathi Rao to produce two sureties of `1 lakh each and deposit his passport in the ACB court to avail bail. The High Court had already granted bail to suspended judges T Pattabhirama Rao, K Lakshminarasimha Rao and D Prabhakar Rao as well as to Karnataka legislators G Somasekhar Reddy, TH Suresh Babu, and G Dasaratharami Reddy in the bail scam case. It dismissed the ACB’s petition challenging bail granted by the ACB court to Pattabhirama Rao’s son Ravichandra and a junior lawyer Aditya.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15