Srisailam Temple tower collapses
By Express News Service - KURNOOL
04th October 2012 12:05 PM
The Sivaji Gali Gopuram of the famous temple to Lord Siva in Srisailam partially collapsed in the early hours of Wednesday. There were no injuries or loss of life as there were no devotees around when the tower crumbled.
The tower, said to have been constructed in the days of Srikrishna Devaraya in the 16th century, had been in a poor condition although the state government did some restoration work on it in 1965. An expert committee team that inspected the state of all historic temple structures in the state after the collapse of the temple tower of the Kalahasti temple in 2010 had recommended reconstruction of the Sivaji Gali Gopuram.
A Narayanareddy, a devotee and a member of the temple’s trust board, had offered to fund the reconstruction to the tune of `4 crore a few months ago. But niether the government nor the temple committee respond. The temple’s officiatinig executive officer A Sagar babu and chairman E Koteswara rao said the structure had weakened due to the three days of rains.
Endowments commissioner Balaramaiah rushed to the spot after coming to know of the incident and pulled up temple officials for being negligent to the state of the structure. He said the expert committee had recommended reconstruction of 25 temple structures around the state but the move was opposed so as to not tamper with heritage sites.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Shun hatred to live with peace