Spirig wins women's triathlon gold at Olympics
By Gerald Imray| AP - LONDON
04th August 2012 04:05 PM
of Switzerland has won the gold medal in a photo finish at the Olympic women's
Spirig held off Lisa Norden of Sweden to claim gold in 1 hour, 59.48 seconds. The runners were given the same time, but Spirig was declared the winner on a photo finish.
Erin Densham of Australia took bronze on the course through Hyde Park in central London.
Spirig pulled away in the last 50 meters but only held off a fast-finishing Norden for the gold.
All three medalists fell to the ground after crossing the line, exhausted by the late sprint for podium positions.
- India's poor need more purchasing power, not doles
- 'Middle-class Indians hard hit by rupee's fall'
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- 'Kerala will lose 10 per cent of water resources by 2030'
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks
- 10-year-old prodigy to enter Harvard University