Tennis: Tricky draw for Paes-Sania
By IANS - LONDON
31st July 2012 11:33 PM
India's Leander Paes and Sania Mirza Tuesday were drawn against Serbian team of Nenad Zimonjic and Ana Ivanovic in the first round of the mixed doubles tennis competition at the London Olympics.
The Indian team will have their work cut out when they take on Ivanovic, former women's singles world no.1 and Zimonjic, who has won four Grand Slam mixed doubles titles and three men's doubles titles. Zimonjic is also a former doubles partner of Paes.
Sania, who has been more prolific with Mahesh Bhupathi winning the 2009 Australian and 2012 French Open titles, was paired with Paes after much controversy in the Indian tennis circuit.
Paes has also paired up with young Vishnu Vardhan in the men's doubles but their match against Frenchmen Michael Llodra and Jo Wilfried Tsonga in the second round was postponed.
Sania and her partner Rushmi Chakravarthi have been knocked of the women's doubles in the first round.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling