Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games
By Indo Asian News Service - COLOMBO
12th July 2012 02:25 PM
Sri Lankan authorities have picked eight former Tamil Tigers in the national squad, and some of them will take part in the South Asian Federation (SAF) Games in Delhi next year.
Harsha Abeykone, the sports ministry media secretary, told Xinhua that these include four shooters, two cricketers and a karate player.
A man disabled during the ethnic conflict has been selected to represent Sri Lanka in shooting at the next Paralympics.
"The selections were done in June from among 131 rebels rehabilitated in different camps," Abeykone said, referring to former members of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
The shooters had been in the sniper units of Tamil Tigers who fought for a separate homeland until they were crushed in 2009.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15