Sania-Bethanie in third round of women’s doubles
By PTI - LONDON
30th June 2012 12:10 AM
India's Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands Friday notched up a straight-set victory to advance to the third round of the women's doubles competition at the Wimbledon here.
The 13th seeded Indo-US duo scored a comfortable 6-3 6-2 win over unseeded French pair of Stephanie Foretz Gacon and Kristina Mladenovic in just 55 minutes at the All England Club here.
Sania and Bethanie converted three of the five breakpoints, while their rivals failed to convert the only opportunity that came their way.
In the first set, Sania and Bethanie went on to win as many as 27 points as against only 17 won by their opponents, to seal the set.
The Indo-US combo continued their domination in the second set as well, where they converted two of the three breakpoints, while managed to save the lone breakpoint that Stephanie and Kristina got.
Sania and Bethanie will next face the winner of the match between Russian duo of Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova and the Williams sisters -- Serena and Venus -- in the third round.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today