Stage set for quarters
By S S Shreekumar /ENS - BANGALORE
30th September 2012 10:29 AM
The eight pool winners have been identified at the end of the league phase of the 2nd Hockey India Senior National Hockey Championships. The clashes will offer some keen contests as evenly matched teams will battle it out. In matches on Saturday, Karnataka remained unbeaten in Pool B with a 5-1 win over Andhra Pradesh while Jharkhand, with Ajitesh Roy scoring 4 goals, outplayed debutants Sashastra Seema Bal 9-1 for an all-win record in Pool D.
Runners-up Karnataka started promisingly when skipper and drag-flicker V R Raghunath converted a 11th minute penalty corner. In the 21st minute, Vikram Kanth drove home a Raghunath pass to put the hosts 2-0 up.
However, Andhra displayed lot of pluck and hit back in the 23rd when Sampath Kumar converted a penalty stroke that was awarded after Avinash Chindrapu’s goal-bound attempt struck defender Darshan Dayavai on the foot.
Karnataka attacked on resumption and scored three field goals in quick succession through M K Mudappa, Nitin Thammaiah and SK Uthappa.
Jharkhand who needed just a draw to progress in the competition, left nothing to chance as India forward Ajitesh Roy led the scoring with four goals while penalty corner specialist Diwakar Ram converted two while Roshan Minz, Anil Xaxa and Jhon Minz scored one each to complee the tally.
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sushma upset at Modi role, walks out of BJP meet
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- 56,700 Indians face deportation from Saudi Arabia: Khurshid
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter