Punjab, Kerala post big wins
By SS Shreekumar | ENS - BANGALORE
24th September 2012 01:10 PM
Most of the matches in Hockey India’s second senior national championships, which got off on Sunday, were lop-sided affairs with the winning teams slamming goals galore.
Rajasthan set the ball rolling with a 6-1 drubbing of Nagaland in the morning with striker Naresh slamming three field goals with Jaigham too making the most of a move to add to the tally. Harpreet Singh then converted a short corner before an own goal boosted their tally. Neduneizo managed to reduce the margin. Arunachal got a walkover as Chhattisgarh failed to turn up.
Puducherry scored a surprise 7-2 victory over Maharashtra as Kamala Kannan banged home four goals including a penalty stroke conversion. Jayaraj added two field goals and Karthikeyan one to complete the tally as Irshad Mirza scored off a short corner and Vijay Thapa off a move in the centre to pull back two goals but to no avail.
Punjab recorded the biggest taly of the day with a 12-1 hammering of the hapless Jammu & Kashmir. Talwinder Singh led the scoring with three strikes followed by Sarvanjit Singh (2), Prabhdeep Singh (2), Gurjinder Singh, Vikramjit Singh, Ravipal Singh and Akashdeep Singh a goal each. Punjab scored an own goal to give some compensation to J&K for taking the trouble of coming all the way.
Kerala took the cue and slammed 11 past Gujarat with Muhammed Murthla notching up four goals and Sarin E three while Vishnu (2), Adarse and Joshan George scored one each.
Some sanity was restored as Tamil Nadu and Odisha played out a 2-2 draw with Mikhal Barla adding a field goal to Amit Rohidas’ penalty corner conversion for Odisha while Rupinderpal Singh converted two short corners to level scores for TN.
Holders Harayana downed Bhopal 2-1 as Didar Singh and Mandeep Antil were bang on target with their attempts while Affan Yusuf pulled one back for the losers.
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection