‘It’s good that uncles are giving their guidance’
By Prabhu Chawla
09th June 2012 11:26 PM
The government is Netaji’s and the Council of Ministers is mine, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav tells The New Indian Express Editorial Director Prabhu Chawla during Teekhi Baat on IBN7. Excerpts:
There is an impression that UP Chief Minister is Akhilesh Yadav but the government is of Mulayam Singh Yadav.
It is a good thing if people consider it Netaji’s government, because then farmers and poor people stand to benefit.
Who is running it: Netaji or Akhilesh?
We are running; there is a Council of Ministers.
Whose is it, Akhilesh’s or Netaji’s?
The Council of Ministers is of the Chief Minister.
People say uncles are ministers...
It is good, for they are giving their advice and guidance.
Same faces, same policies; what’s the change then?
New people will get a chance when the Cabinet is expanded. Even now there are people who have become ministers for the first time. The people have given us five years. You will see the change in due time.
What of people who are tainted, and face criminal cases? Why have such people been kept?
The party has full control; and there are people in this government who have been trapped in fake cases.
Like Raja Bhaiyya
His father was put behind bars, his lands were snatched away, his business was shut down, and was sent to jail by framing him in false cases.
You told me at two separate times that the chief minister would be Netaji and not you. Then what was the game played?
Please see, it was a decision of the party. I accept that I had said I will not become chief minister.
You had also said that Netaji will become the chief minister...
Yes. But after Netaji and the party decided, I was given a chance. There is no conspiracy.
Your magic continues to work. The Congress and BJP did not field a candidate against your wife in Kannauj.
That is their decision. Even the BSP has not fielded a candidate.
Has there been any compromise with the Congress?
What about BJP?
I think that the tenure of the elected representative was less 12-13 months, that is why they did not field any
Why did you then?
The people of the constituency said that they will not accept unless somebody from the family contests.
Who are these people?
Workers and leaders walked over and demanded that somebody from the family must contest.
Don’t you think one should move away from dynastic politics and prefer a meritocracy?
I am not in favour of dynastic politics, but if the people accept and the workers accept, the election can be won. Then it is natural that the party will take the same decision.
What kind of relations do you have with the Congress?
We have got good relations with the Congress; there are some differences.
For AIIMS, you gave land immediately in Rae Bareli.
If they are ready to establish AIIMS in UP, then we are ready to allot land.
You have presented a budget of `2 lakh crore. But you have imposed no new taxes.
Please see, the money that is demanded from the Central government is what they should give in all schemes and programmes. That is Uttar Pradesh’s right. And without levying more taxes, we will do more recovery.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- DRDO chief expresses concern over FDI
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner