Merchant tanker Pavit's route still remains untraced
By PTI - MUMBAI
10th September 2012 10:51 AM
Shipping authorities here have still not traced the route that merchant vessel M V Pavit followed to reach Mumbai following unfavourable weather conditions.
The grounded oil tanker drifted from Oman coast to the city's Juhu-Versova beach in July last year.
According to officials, they failed in tracing the route because of the weather conditions between June-August and said the route will always remain a "mystery".
"We wanted to reconstruct the route with the help of satellite imagery, but at that time monsoon was prevalent and the entire area was covered with clouds. We are therefore not successful in tracing the route," said an official from the Directorate General of Shipping.
Also, no one even spotted this vessel drifting or else we would have alerted concerned authorities, the official said.
After the vessel ran aground at Juhu, an investigation was launched to ascertain the cause of it getting adrift unmanned to the shores of Mumbai.
The ship had started drifting off Oman coast on June 29 due to engine failure and ingress of water in the engine room.
All the 13 Indian crew members were rescued by a warship before it finally ran aground on July 31. The ship was later moved to Dabhol Port.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Knowledge and faith
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers