BJP's nationwide protest against coalgate begins today
By IBNLive - NEW DELHI
31st August 2012 08:34 AM
The BJP's nationwide protest over the coal blocks allocations will begin on Friday. The party, after stalling Parliament for seven days over the issue, gave a call for a nationwide protest over the matter. The party has been demanding that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who was the Coal Minister during the period in which the allocations were made, resign.
The three-day protest across 40 towns and cities in the country will be led by top BJP leaders like LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley.
According to the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report on coal, the allocations led to a huge loss of Rs 1.86 lakh crore.
Although the government claims it is ready for a discussion in Parliament over the matter, the BJP has been adamant so far. The Congress has claimed that the BJP has skeletons in its own cupboard which is why it is shying away from debate.
The Samajwadi Party, the Telugu Desam Party and the Left will be holding a separate protest of their own on Friday at the Parliament Gate.
The CBI, meanwhile, is ready with its FIR in the case. It will be filed soon.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today