Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami
By PTI - MATHURA
10th August 2012 02:29 PM
Krishna Janam Ashtami was celebrated
with great fervour and fanfare as devotees thronged temples in
birth place of Lord Krishna, Mathura, and adjoining areas of
Goverdhan and Vrindavan today.
Pilgrims flocked to various temples in the Sri Krishna 'Janmasthan', where special religious discourses, kathas, hymns and community kitchens were held in the decorated temples.
Bathing ceremony of the deity 'Abhishek' was performed with milk, curd, honey, ghee and Khandsari amidst chanting of vedic hymns in Bhagwat Bhawan and Keshav Deo temples.
Several pilgrims paid obeisance in the main temples of Mathura, Vrindavan, Nandgaon, Mahaban and Baldeo, while others performed circumambulation of hillock Goverdhan.
Meanwhile, security in the main temples was beefed up today. Beside police and para-military forces, police in plain clothes were posted at sensitive points of the birthplace.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- New Mental Health Bill bans electric shocks, gives right to treatment
- Caste curses Dalit, tribal children to life of slavery beyond borders
- Tiruchendur temple ‘under grip’ of Tirusundarars
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Berthing facilities for naval ships
- Several cheating cases against Saritha S Nair
- Imran Khan damaged Pakistan cricket: Aamir Sohail
- Shalu Menon's mother files plaint
- 'Ankur Arora Murder Case' (Hindi)