Yashwant jibe at Nitish's secular credentials
By PTI - PATNA
09th August 2012 09:47 PM
Taking a swipe at Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who had upped the pressure on NDA partner BJP by asking for advance announcement of the prime ministerial candidate, party senior leader Yashwant Sinha today said those people playing caste politics cannot become flag bearers of secularism.
"Some people are nursing secular credentials ... But when one looks into their character it is found that these people have spread caste into politics," he said when asked about his views on Kumar pitching for a secular person to be projected as NDA prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 general election.
"A person championing casteist politics cannot become a flagbearer of secular politics or secularism," was his cryptic comment while interacting with mediapersons at the sidelines of a function here to muster support for upgradation of Patna University as a central university.
Kumar, senior JD(U) leader, had said yesterday a prime ministerial candidate should be announced in advance and rejected suggestions that he was nursing prime ministerial ambitions.
"People discuss and evaluate such a prime ministerial candidate if the announcement is made by a political party or an alliance in advance. It helps the people in taking the right decision," he had said.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS