Army jawan dead, six injured in IED blast in Assam
By PTI - GUWAHATI
31st July 2012 12:42 PM
An Army jawan was killed and six others were injured in an IED blast in Goalpara district of lower Assam today.
The blast occurred about one-and-a-half kilometres from the Naranarayan Setu at Jugigupa at around 10.20 AM when an Army convoy was passing, sources in the Army said.
A vehicle in the convoy, which was on its way from Kokrajhar to Agia, was damaged in the explosion.
The injured jawans have been shifted to the Basistha Army Hospital in Guwahati.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and senior BJP leader L K Advani are currently visiting Assam to take stock of the situation in lower Assam following the minorities-Bodos violence which has claimed 56 lives.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15