Ashok Chavan chargesheeted in Adarsh scam
By PTI - MUMBAI
04th July 2012 02:06 PM
Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan was among 13 people charge sheeted by CBI today in the multi-crore Adarsh Housing scam.
The 10,000-page CBI charge sheet was filed before the Registrar of a sessions court, nearly 18 months after the agency registered a case.
The Adarsh scam had fuelled a political storm in Maharashtra leading to the resignation of Chavan as the Chief Minister.
Earlier in the day, the CBI informed the Bombay High Court, hearing a batch of public interest litigations seeking the court's supervision of the probe, that it would be filing a charge sheet later in the day.
The CBI has registered a case on January 29 last year against Chavan and others which included bureaucrats and retired army personnel.
The agency had in March arrested nine out of the 14 accused after receiving a rap on its knuckles from the High Court for not initiating action against the accused persons.
The nine arrested accused are - R C Thakur, secretary of Adarsh, retired brigadier M M Wanchoo, former Congress MLC Kanhaiyalal Gidwani, both promoters of the society, former deputy secretary of urban development department P V Deshmukh, IAS officers Ramanand Tiwari and Jairaj Phatak, retired major generals A R Kumar and T K Kaul and former city collector Pradeep Vyas.
They were released on bail by a special CBI court after CBI failed to file charge sheet within the stipulated 60-day period after arrest.
They have been charged with criminal conspiracy, cheating and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection