Convicted MLAs attend UP CM's lunch for Pranab
By IBNlive - NEW DELHI
04th July 2012 09:26 AM
Over hundred days after becoming the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister, Akhilesh Yadav is courting more controversies. Two convicted criminals-turned-politician - Mukhtar Ansari and Vijay Mishra - were the special invitees to the lunch hosted by the UP Chief Minister in the honour of United Progressive Alliance's (UPA's) presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee in Lucknow on Tuesday.
Both are in jail for different offences. Ansari from the Kaumi Ekta Dal is serving a jail sentence on charges of murder and kidnapping, while Mishra, a SP MLA was jailed for murdering a BSP MLA in Allahabad.
As per law, any jailed legislator only has the right to attend an assembly session. UP's assembly session ended on Tuesday afternoon. Ansari and Mishra should have gone back to jail after the session. But instead of going back to jail, Ansari and Mishra lunched at CM's house in total violation of law.
But the Congress, caught in an embarrassing situation of seeing tainted MLAs meeting its Presidential nominee, tried to wriggle out of the situation.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, "It's not as if they were joining the Congress, but they shouldn't have been allowed." The loser in the case is Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav. Whether it's doling out cars worth Rs 20 lakh to his MLAs or allowing jailed MLAs to a state lunch in violation of laws, the youngest Chief Minister's honeymoon period is quickly coming to an end. - Bhupendra Chaubey
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs