India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged
By IANS - COLOMBO
30th June 2012 01:17 AM
India Friday reiterated its support to all actors seeking a solution to the Tamil situation in Sri Lanka, but made it clear that political reconciliation is "a Sri Lankan issue" and "something that Sri Lanka has to do".
National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon called on Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and met Foreign Minister G.L. Peiris here. He also held meetings with Minister of Economic Development Basil Rajapaksa and Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
In his meetings, Menon underlined the need for speeding up political reconciliation and a settlement of the decades-old Tamil issue.
"I discussed recent developments, bilateral relations and areas of common concern. I was also briefed about steps being taken by the Government of Sri Lanka on political reconciliation and settlement," he told reporters here after the talks.
"While this is a Sri Lankan issue and something that Sri Lanka has to do, we will continue to remain engaged with all concerned and offer any support required in this regard," he said.
Menon also discussed the reconciliation issue with Tamil National Alliance leader R. Sampanthan.
"India has always stood for a united Sri Lanka within which all citizens can live in equality, justice, dignity and self-respect," he said.
The two sides also discussed maritime cooperation and decided to resolve the fishermen's issue from a humanitarian perspective.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS