Teenager falls into well in West Bengal
By IANS - KOLKATA
24th June 2012 09:34 PM
Nearly six hours after a teenaged boy Sunday fell into a 30-feet-deep well in West Bengal's Howrah district, around the same time when a four-year-old girl's body was recovered from a borewell in Haryana, divers were struggling to rescue him.
Roshan, 17, a construction worker, slipped and fell into the well around 4 p.m. at Eksara area in Liluah town while trying to draw water, a witness said. This was around the same time when the body of four-year-old Mahi was recovered from a borewell in Haryana's Manesar town.
Disaster Management, Fire and Emergency Services Minister Javed Khan said: "The disaster management group personnel have reached the spot with gas masks as there are toxic gases in the well. The fire brigade personnel are also there. We hope he will be rescued quickly".
The minister said search lights were being used with divers ready to go into the well.
"Our estimate is the well is 30 feet deep. Some others are saying it is 70 feet deep," he said.
The firemen initially tried to pump out water from the well. "But no sooner we pumped out some water, it again started getting filled up," said a fire brigade official.
Area lawmaker Rajib Banerjee said efforts were on to send a crane to the spot so that if any rescuer entering the well fell sick, he could be brought out with the help of the crane.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Key relationships
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- DRDO chief expresses concern over FDI