Pranab reaches out to Mamata again
By Shutapa Paul|ENS - KOLKATA
24th June 2012 09:31 AM
Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee once again indirectly appealed to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee to extend support to his candidacy.
“Those who are yet to take a decision, I request them to support the UPA nominee,” said Pranab on Saturday.
The TMC chief is yet to announce who the party will support after former President A P J Abdul Kalam declined to contest.
Pranab’s candidature for the top post has been endorsed by all the UPA partners, except the TMC.
Parties outside the UPA such as Samajwadi Party, BSP, JDU, CPM and Forward Bloc will also vote for him as he takes on NDA’s candidate P A Sangma. The BJD and the AIADMK are also backing Sangma.
Pranab also said that he would resign as Finance Minister on June 26. Pranab will also quit the Congress Working Committee (CWC).
“After becoming Presidential candidate I have no politics, no political party. I will resign as Finance Minister on June 26. I couldn’t resign earlier as Prime Minister was out of the country. I will start campaigning then...I will resign from the CWC in the next few days. I’m no longer a common man,” he added.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling