BJD sticks to Sangma as Presidential candidate
By PTI - BHUBANESWAR
17th June 2012 09:20 PM
With NCP leader P A Sangma
refusing to pull out of the Presidential race, the ruling BJD
in Odisha, which was the first to moot his name for the top
post, today stuck to its support for the former Lok Sabha
"Having proposed Sangma's name as the Presidential candidate, the BJD is whole-heartedly supporting the prominent tribal leader," senior MP and BJD Parliamentary Party leader Arjun Charan Sethi said.
Recalling that BJD supremo and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was the first to moot the name of Sangma for the top post, Sethi said "there has been no change in our party's stand on the issue."
He said senior BJD leaders, who held a series of meetings and discussed the issue threadbare at the Chief Minister's residence since Friday night, were strongly in favour of supporting Sangma.
Meanwhile, undaunted by threat of disciplinary action by NCP leadership, Sangma also stuck to his decision to remain in the race for presidency.
"As long as Sangma is in the race, BJD will continue to support him without deviating from its earlier decision," said another senior BJD leader.
The regional party also seems to be waiting for NDA to finalise its stand on the Presidential election, sources said adding "BJD leaders are closely watching the developments."
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals