Mamata administers oath to follow Vivekananda
By IANS - KOLKATA
12th January 2013 07:02 PM
West Bengal Governor M.K. Narayanan and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee SAturday urged the people to follow in the footsteps of Swami Vivekananda as the World Youth Festival to mark the monk's 150th birth anniversary began here Saturday.
Along with the three-day event at Salt Lake Stadium, a weeklong exhibition on Vivekananda is also on the offing.
At the inauguration, Banerjee asked all those present to take an oath of following the path shown by "Swamiji and honour women, spread humanity and brotherhood along with loving the country".
Along with children and youngsters, Bengali actors and other eminent personalities present at the event repeated the oath.
Narayanan, who was the chief guest, also asked all to take a pledge of "remaining pure through the entire life, never transgress honour of others but harden your hearts when necessary".
There was a cultural programme comprising of a dance drama and patriotic songs as Bengali film actor Dev led hundreds of school children in dressing like Vivekananda.
Actresses Raima Sen and Subhasree also took part in the programme.
Over 1,500 students from 25 schools participated in the programme.
Girishananda Maharaj of Ram Krishna Mission -- founded by Vivekananda -- said it was imperative for the society suffering from social evils to follow the preachings of the monk.
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha