Woman stripped naked, gang-raped in Tripura
By IANS - AGARTALA
22nd December 2012 08:12 PM
A housewife was stripped naked, gangraped and battered in full public glare in Tripura, police said Saturday.
"A 37-year-old woman was gang-raped at Bishalgarh in western Tripura Wednesday night. After the rape, the women was stripped naked, brutally beaten up and then tied to a tree," a police official told reporters here.
Based on the victim's complaint, police immediately swung into action and arrested seven people. However, three more accused, including the main one, are on the run.
Police said the accused dragged the house wife from her home and took turns to rape her before many people, including women. But no one dared to come forward to save the mother of a five-year-old.
The role of the husband is also being probed, the police official said.
Tripura Woman's Commission chairperson Purnima Roy strongly condemned the atrocious incident and asked the police to take stern action against the culprits.
People organised a protest rally at Bishalgarh, 25 km from here, over the incident.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection