Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband commits suicide
By PTI - CHENNAI
20th December 2012 02:34 PM
Popular Carnatic vocalist
Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan today allegedly committed
suicide by jumping into a river in the city, in a blow to her
amid the annual music season in which she is a star performer.
Mahadevan, who came in a car, jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge, a locality where the couple resided, police said quoting eyewitnesses.
Police and Fire and Rescue Services arrived at the spot on information and fished out the body of the 45-year old Mahadevan. The couple have two daughters.
They said the reason for Mahadevan's decision to end his life was under investigation.
The tragedy struck Nithyashree in the midst of the "Margazhi" music festival now on in the city.
Nithyashree, who comes from an illustrious family of carnatic musicians, is grand daughter of late D K Pattammal, often hailed as one of the trinity of carnatic vocalists -- the other two being late M S Subbulakshmi and the late M L Vasanthakumari.
The month-long festival held at sabhas and concert halls in December offers a veritable feast for connoisseurs of Carnatic music with the top artists and budding ones giving performances.
Nithyashree has also sung in some Tamil movies.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- New Mental Health Bill bans electric shocks, gives right to treatment
- Caste curses Dalit, tribal children to life of slavery beyond borders
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Several cheating cases against Saritha S Nair
- Berthing facilities for naval ships
- Imran Khan damaged Pakistan cricket: Aamir Sohail
- Shalu Menon's mother files plaint
- India to convey its view on S Lanka's 13th Amendment after consideration