Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband commits suicide
By PTI - CHENNAI
20th December 2012 02:34 PM
Popular Carnatic vocalist
Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan today allegedly committed
suicide by jumping into a river in the city, in a blow to her
amid the annual music season in which she is a star performer.
Mahadevan, who came in a car, jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge, a locality where the couple resided, police said quoting eyewitnesses.
Police and Fire and Rescue Services arrived at the spot on information and fished out the body of the 45-year old Mahadevan. The couple have two daughters.
They said the reason for Mahadevan's decision to end his life was under investigation.
The tragedy struck Nithyashree in the midst of the "Margazhi" music festival now on in the city.
Nithyashree, who comes from an illustrious family of carnatic musicians, is grand daughter of late D K Pattammal, often hailed as one of the trinity of carnatic vocalists -- the other two being late M S Subbulakshmi and the late M L Vasanthakumari.
The month-long festival held at sabhas and concert halls in December offers a veritable feast for connoisseurs of Carnatic music with the top artists and budding ones giving performances.
Nithyashree has also sung in some Tamil movies.
- India's poor need more purchasing power, not doles
- 'Middle-class Indians hard hit by rupee's fall'
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- 'Kerala will lose 10 per cent of water resources by 2030'
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- 10-year-old prodigy to enter Harvard University
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks