Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband commits suicide
By PTI - CHENNAI
20th December 2012 02:34 PM
Popular Carnatic vocalist
Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan today allegedly committed
suicide by jumping into a river in the city, in a blow to her
amid the annual music season in which she is a star performer.
Mahadevan, who came in a car, jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge, a locality where the couple resided, police said quoting eyewitnesses.
Police and Fire and Rescue Services arrived at the spot on information and fished out the body of the 45-year old Mahadevan. The couple have two daughters.
They said the reason for Mahadevan's decision to end his life was under investigation.
The tragedy struck Nithyashree in the midst of the "Margazhi" music festival now on in the city.
Nithyashree, who comes from an illustrious family of carnatic musicians, is grand daughter of late D K Pattammal, often hailed as one of the trinity of carnatic vocalists -- the other two being late M S Subbulakshmi and the late M L Vasanthakumari.
The month-long festival held at sabhas and concert halls in December offers a veritable feast for connoisseurs of Carnatic music with the top artists and budding ones giving performances.
Nithyashree has also sung in some Tamil movies.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today