NCP turns down Sena invitation to join NDA
By Express News Service - MUMBAI
14th December 2012 10:50 AM
The NCP has outrightly rejected the invitation of Shiv Sena leader Manohar Joshi to NCP president Sharad Pawar to join the NDA and become the alliance’s Prime Ministerial candidate.
“We thank Mr Joshi for wishing that Pawar saheb becomes the PM. However, the NCP is a party with ideology. Mr Pawar and the NCP are secular entities. We can never join communal forces. For us, secularism is far bigger than the power,” said NCP spokesman Nawab Malik. He added that there was no question of the NCP joining the NDA -- a party led by secular force.
“We will not sacrifice our secular ideologies to obtain power,” Malik said.
Joshi had invited Pawar to join the NDA at a public function organised on the eve of the NCP chief’s 72 birthday on Tuesday at Pune.
He started by saying that he wished Pawar, who was one of the big leaders of Maharashtra, would one day become the Prime Minister.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15