Election panel disapproves of Moily's LPG remark
By IANS - NEW DELHI
12th December 2012 07:38 PM
The Election Commission Wednesday expressed its "strong disapproval" of Petroleum Minister M. Veerappa Moily's remarks on raising the cap on LPG cylinder supply ahead of the Gujarat elections and asked him to be "circumspect in future."
Moily, whom the commission Tuesday asked to explain his remark over LPG cap being increased from six to nine, in his reply to the commission Wednesday accepted that he made the announcement.
The commission said the remarks amount to violation of model code of conduct.
"..the commission hereby conveys its strong disapproval of your above action and cautions you to be circumspect in future," the panel said.
In its letter to the minister, secretary Harbans Singh said that though he said that the government is yet to take a decision in the matter, it has emerged that the cap on the supply of the subsidized LPG cylinders is being raised from the present six to nine a family a year.
"The commission is of the considered view that your above mentioned reply amounts to announcement of promise of financial grant by the government, which the Model Code of Conduct prohibits during its operation when the election process is on," the poll panel said.
The commission said that when the Model Code of Conduct becomes effective, ministers and other authorities cannot make any announcement of any financial grants.
The panel said the announcement is thus "a clear violation both of the letter and spirit of the Model Code of Conduct."
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Western Ghats: Gadgil’s missive to Kasturirangan opens fresh debate
- Key relationships
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Hyderabad beat Kolkata, make semis; put RCB out