BJP activists march to Maharashtra assembly
By PTI - NAGPUR
11th December 2012 11:03 PM
Thousands joined the march to 'gherao' (surround) the Maharashtra assembly called by the BJP here to protest over issues like FDI in retail, price rise, corruption and rights of farmers.
Led by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari, deputy leader in the Lok Sabha Gopinath Munde and state BJP chief Sudhir Mungantiwar, the rally started from Reshim Bagh, close to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) headquarters, and saw a participation of over 10,000 people in protest sit-in and blockade of the assembly here.
Nagpur is the second capital of Maharashtra and monsoon and winter sessions of the state legislatures are held here.
Senior party leaders Vinod Tawade and Eknath Khadse were also present in the rally.
The winter session of the state legislature began here Monday and it was only on the second day of the session that the BJP set out to blockade the assembly to lodge its protest on various issues.
The rally, to reach the Vidhan Bhavan later Tuesday, is to surround it from all sides, blocking all entry points.
The BJP is demanding higher support price for cotton, paddy and soyabean - the three main crops of the Vidarbha region.
The party is also demanding Rs.6,000 per quintal for the raw cotton while the cotton growers are getting a meagre price of just Rs.3,900 per quintal.
The BJP also planned to bring up other issues like high tariff for electricity and rationing of subsidised cooking gas cylinders.
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks