Five more persons dead in Bihar hooch tragedy, toll 13
By PTI - ARA
08th December 2012 01:47 PM
Five more persons have died after drinking spurious liquor taking the toll to 13 today in Anaith village and adjoining areas under Nawada police station area in Bihar's Bhojpur district, a police official said today.
"The toll in the hooch tragedy has risen to 13 in the past 24 hours and the casualties may go up as a search is being made in the village and adjoining localities to find other victims," Deputy Inspector General of Police, Shahabad range, Ajitabh Kumar said.
Those who died bought illicit liquor pouches from nearby Ara railway station two days ago, the DIG said.
Eight FIRs have been registered and 13 people, including a man who sold the hooch, were arrested, Kumar said.
A large quantity of pouches containing spurious liquor were seized from unauthorised shops, the DIG said.
Yesterday, a team comprising the sub-divisional officer, sub-divisional police officer and assistant excise commissioner investigated the deaths.
Meanwhile, charging the district administration with collusion with the liquor mafia, the CPI(M-L) Liberation took out a protest march in the town led by former party legislator Arun Kumar.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS