Tearful adieu to ASI Ravinder Pal Singh
By PTI - AMRITSAR
07th December 2012 07:40 PM
Mortal remains of ASI Ravinder Pal Singh, who was shot dead two days ago while resisting
harassment of his daughter, were Friday consigned to flames
in his native Rampura village of the district.
The pyre was lit jointly by deceased's son Navpreet Singh and daughter Robanjit Kaur.
Senior police officers and politicians including Navjot Kaur Sidhu and MLA Dalbir Singh Ranike were present at the time of cremation in Chehertha area.
A contingent of Punjab Police fired volley of gun shots in the air and reversed the arms, in mark of respect to the departed soul.
Ravinderpal's son Navpreet was in Australia when his father was killed on December 5 in full public view by a local SAD leader alongwith four of his accomplices.
The ASI was killed after he protested harassment of his 23-year-old daughter.
The Punjab government has issued order that the daughter of ASI may immediately be enlisted as Sub Inspector in the state police as a special case.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC