World's longest married couple is from Punjab
By IANS - LONDON
01st November 2012 10:10 PM
Karam Chand and his wife Katari, who have eight children and 28 grandchildren, have been married for 87 years, making them the world's longest married couple.
The pair say that the key to success is looking after each other in every way possible: "My trick is to make Katari laugh. I like to tell jokes and make her smile. Being funny is my way of being romantic," says 107-year-old Karam.
From romantic meals to sharing jokes, the couple, who hail from Punjab, India and now live in Bradford ensure that they do little things for each other to keep the romance alive, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.
"When I was young I used to make him a nice fresh meal every night. We are vegetarians so I brought lots of fresh vegetables and made sure he was eating healthy food," said Katari, who is 100 years old.
Their marriage has lasted nearly five years longer than that of the current Guinness World Record holders and the couple are in the process of getting confirmation from the company that they will be named as the new record holders, the Mail said.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant