Seven arrested for attacking woman cop in Maharashtra
By IANS - THANE
22nd October 2012 04:35 PM
Seven people were arrested Monday for attacking a woman police officer in this Maharashtra district, police said.
According to an official, Assistant Police Inspector Priyatama Muthe, of Virar police station, was beaten up by five criminals late Sunday night in connection with a kidnapping case of a minor girl she was investigating. She is undergoing treatment in the local hospital.
A family from Virar had filed a complaint stating that their underage daughter has been kidnapped. Later the girl herself came to the police station and filed a complaint against Amit Jha, alleging that he had kidnapped her, the official said.
Later, Jha came to the police station and asked that he be given custody of the underage girl.
"When Muthe refused to grant the girl's custody to him, he came with four other men and attacked her and also roughed up another police officer," the official said.
"Seven men, including Jha, have been arrested in the case," he added.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Knowledge and faith
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online