Anna Hazare to launch new anti-graft team: Bedi
By IANS - NEW DELHI
20th October 2012 04:07 PM
After severing ties with India Against Corruption (IAC) activist Arvind Kejriwal over the formation of a political party, veteran ant-corruption activist Anna Hazare Saturday decided to recast his core team that was disbanded a month ago.
Hazare's new team will comprise individuals known for integrity to take his anti-graft movement foward, said the activist's close aide and former Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Kiran Bedi here Saturday.
"Individuals, who are an institution themselves, be it retired civil servants, corporate honchos or artists, Anna is looking for a new inclusive core group with individuals, who are one call away from the powers that be but are known for their non-partisanship and are reformist by nature," Bedi said.
She also named three such individuals, whom Hazare may approach to be part of his new core committee.
The three are former army chief General V.K. Singh, who had raised his voice against corruption throughout his tenure; former Uttar Pradesh director general of police Prakash Singh, who filed a public interest litigation seeking police reforms to rid the service from political interference and got the order passed; and Bhure Lal, who enjoys the confidence of the Supreme Court for heading independent committees to examine social issues as a friend fo the court.
Hazare will convene the first core meeting of the new panel Nov 24 and 25, Bedi said.
"Anna is going to talk to these individuals and on the basis of their availability to be part of the movement against corruption. If they can join Anna's movement, they all will meet Nov 24 and 25," she said.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs