7 pilgrims die in bus mishap
By PTI - BURDWAN
30th September 2012 11:20 AM
Seven pilgrims were killed and
11 injured when a bus, on way from Tarapith to Kolkata,
overturned on NH 2 at Gurap in Hooghy district today.
The bus, carrying over 30 pilgrims from Vaishali district in Bihar, was on a tour of religious places in the region and had arrived at Tarapith Kali temple only yesterday from Deoghar's Basukinath temple in neighbouring Jharkhand, Burdwan Superintendent of Police S M H Mirza said.
The accident spot was not very far away from Burdwan district.
The 11 injured were being treated at Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where the condition of some was stated to be critical, Mirza said.
The SP said the driver probably lost control and the vehicle overturned twice as local people started rescue operation soon afterwards alerted by the screams.
Other injured passengers of the bus were being treated at Dhaniakhali Rural Hospital.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- New Mental Health Bill bans electric shocks, gives right to treatment
- Caste curses Dalit, tribal children to life of slavery beyond borders
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Several cheating cases against Saritha S Nair
- Berthing facilities for naval ships
- Imran Khan damaged Pakistan cricket: Aamir Sohail
- Shalu Menon's mother files plaint
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala