Non-bailable warrants issued against Raj Thackeray for humiliating people of UP and Bihar
By IANS - NEW DELHI
28th September 2012 04:39 PM
Spelling fresh trouble for Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray, a Delhi court issued two non-bailable warrants (NBW) against him Saturday for humiliating the people of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. The court was hearing seven petitions against Thackeray.
Issuing the two NBWs, Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Yaduvanshi held that Thackeray was promoting enmity between different groups.
The application for initiating proceedings against Thackeray was made by lawyers Sudhir Kumar Ojha from Bihar and Sudhir Kumar from Jharkhand.
Ojha said that Thackeray humiliated people from Bihar and UP in a February 2008 speech by ridiculing Chhath Puja, which is celebrated with enthusiasm in the two states.
Various criminal cases were lodged against Raj Thackeray in Bihar and Jharkhand. The Supreme Court later transferred the cases to the Delhi court after Thackeray raised concerns over his security.
The two NBWs came as a revival of the two earlier orders given by courts in Bihar and Jharkahand in 2008. The Delhi magisterial court had, Aug 30, issued summons to Thackerey for Friday. Thackrey skipped appearing in court and moved a petition seeking exemption from personal appearance.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals