Tight security for President's visit to Kashmir University
By IANS - SRINAGAR
27th September 2012 01:04 PM
Extra measures were in place here Thursday to provide
foolproof security cover to President Pranab Mukherjee during his visit here to address the 18th convocation of Kashmir University.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) men dotted the nearly eight kilometre route from Raj Bhawan to the Hazratbal campus of the University.
No vehicle was allowed to stop while moving on the route as a security measure.
The entire campus of Kashmir University has been taken over by sharp shooters placed on multi-storeyed buildings inside the campus. Hundreds of others specially-trained commandos are guarding the convocation venue.
Local intelligence and state police have already carried out the antecedents' verification process of all the students and scholars attending the convocation.
Many of the 214 student toppers and 234 PhD and M.Phil scholars will be awarded their medals and degrees at the function.
The university authorities have given strict instructions to the participants to ensure respect to the national anthem as in the past many had refused to stand up when the anthem was played.
State governor N.N. Vohra, who is the chancellor of the University and Chief minister Omar Abdullah are attending the convocation.
President Mukherjee will also be attending a meeting for preservation of the Dal Lake in the city later in the day.
He is also likely to meet some local intellectuals during his daylong engagements.
- South block watch
- Greasepaint fails to hide K-town tension
- T M Soundararajan: An Alchemist who mixed melodies with emotions
- Srinivasan's Kolkata connect
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion
- Maoist attack: Kidnapped Chhattisgarh Congress chief, son found dead, toll 27
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Sonia shocked, PM offers help to Raman
- Vidya Balan to go gangsta?
- Siddaramaiah inducts SR Patil into Karnataka State Cabinet