Following is a chronology of major railway accidents since 2000:
* Dec 3, 2000: Forty-six people were killed and over 130 injured when the Howrah-Amritsar Mail rammed into a derailed goods train between Sarai Banjara and Sadhugarh in Punjab.
* June 22, 2001: Nearly 40 people were killed when the Mangalore-Chennai Mail tumbled into the Kadalundi river near Kozhikode in Kerala.
* May 12, 2002: Twelve people were killed when the New Delhi-Patna Shramjeevi Express derailed while passing over a bridge in Jaunpur in Uttar Pradesh.
* June 4, 2002: Thirty-four killed when the the Mathura-Kasganj Express crashed into a bus at an unmanned rail crossing near Medu railway station in Hathras.
* September 10, 2002: 120 people were killed when the Kolkata-New Delhi Rajdhani Express derailed over a bridge in Bihar.
* May 15, 2003: A burst stove in the Mumbai-Amritsar Golden Temple Express (Frontier Mail) near Ludhiana in Punjab led to a major fire, killing 40 people and injured more than 50.
* June 22, 2003: Fifty-three people were killed and 25 were injured in the first major accident on the Konkan Railway when the engine and three coaches of the Karwar-Mumbai Central Holiday Special train derailed after crossing Vaibhavwadi station in Maharashtra.
* July 2, 2003: At least 22 passengers and motorists were killed in a bizarre but ghastly accident in Andhra Pradesh when the engine and two coaches of a train fell off a bridge crushing vehicles passing underneath.
* June 16, 2004: Mumbai-bound Matsyagandha Express goes off the tracks while crossing a bridge in Maharashtra's Raigarh district, nearly 150 km from Mumbai, killing 20 people and injuring over 60.
* December 1, 2006: A portion of a 150-year-old bridge collapsed over a passing train in Bihar's Bhagalpur district, killing 35 and injuring 17.
* May 28, 2010: At least 148 people were killed as the Gyaneshwari Express was derailed by Naxals in West Bengal West Midnapore district.
* November 22, 2011: Seven people were burnt to death when the Howrah-Dehradun express caught fire in Giridih in Jharkhand.
* May 22, 2012: Twenty-five people were killed when the Banglore-bound Hampi Express collided with a stationary goods train in Andhra Pradesh's Anantapur district.
* June 30, 2012: Thirty-five passengers were killed and 25 were injured when a coach of the Delhi-Chennai Tamil Nadu Express caught fire near Nellore in Andhra Pradesh.