Spain offers best value for self-catering
Ian Oxborrow / Daily Telegraph
10th July 2012 11:34 AM
Families planning a self-catering holiday will get the most for their money in Spain or Portugal, new research has shown.
The Post Office's annual Self-Catering on a Shoestring report compares the cost of supermarket purchases in a dozen different holiday destinations.
A weekly shop for a family of four, featuring 20 common purchases such as bread, milk, eggs and bottled water, cost £56.67 in Majorca – the cheapest destination to feature in the survey for the second consecutive year. In Portugal the items cost £57.78, while Spain’s Costa Blanca (£65.31) and Menorca (£66.71) also provided good value.
The most expensive destinations to feature where Cyprus and Corfu, where the same 20 items costs £104.29 and £100.31 respectively.
The items cost £89.08 in Brighton, putting the West Sussex resort eighth on the list, although its prices had dropped slightly compared with last year. The average cost of the items also fell in Menorca, Gozo and Lanzarote.
“The variations we found in supermarket prices mean that families will be well-advised to check prices before booking," said Andrew Brown, the Post Office's head of travel money. "Although self-catering can be a great way for families to save money, they should choose their destination carefully.
“Majorca and Portugal are great value options but Greece is looking more expensive.”
- India's poor need more purchasing power, not doles
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair