By Adarsh Matham
05th August 2012 12:00 AM
Get Running (iOS)
If you want to start running there is no better app than ‘Get Running’. This app takes you from the couch to 5K in nine weeks. While it really helps with breaking the ‘beginner barrier’, using short alternating walk and run patterns three times a week, the best of the iPhone app is that it coaches you like a human does. Since it works with or without music, all you need to do is plug in your earphones and just follow the instructions given. A personal favourite is the way it says “just 10 more seconds”. It also lets you share your running stats with the wide world.
Zombies, Run (iOS, Android, Windows Phone)
If there was any justice in the world, the guy who designed this app would get a Nobel prize. That is because this app takes the mundane task of running and makes it a game. Like any good game it is a great adventure in which you have to escape zombies who are closing in on you. But you can escape them by actually getting out and running. With 30 missions and 40 hours worth of gameplay, you run to escape zombies, pick up supplies like medicines and batteries and after finishing the run, you can actually continue playing the game using the supplies you picked up.
Sports Tracker (iOS,
Android) It is one of the best all-round fitness apps. As it says on the lid, it tracks and analyses your performances be it running or cycling. Using tools like maps, time and distance calculators, it calculates different factors like average training speed, calories burned etc… which are stored in your personal workout dairy. This data can be shared with friends on Facebook and Twitter, and you can comment on your friend’s workout routines within the app.
Endomondo (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry)
Endomondo is a complete fitness app, whichever phone you use. Using the in-built GPS, it tracks activities like running, cycling, walking. Your fitness statistics will be stored in an easy-to-read format, and these can be shared with others using a number of means. Apart from giving you live audio feedback, it lets you compare your training with other users so that you can compete with them. In short Endomondo is the Facebook of running apps.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals