By Adarsh Matham
17th March 2013 12:00 AM
Kaspersky Mobile Security Lite (Free)
Kaspersky Labs is said to be the most trusted name in the fight against viruses and malware. Their Mobile Security Lite app for Android brings that fight to the mobile phone. The Kaspersky Mobile Security app does three main things. It fights potentially malicious apps that can harm your phone. This is important because of the prevalence of malicious apps on the Google Play store. Secondly it offers anti-theft protection by letting you to find your lost or stolen phone, and if unrecoverable, offering to wipe it or block it remotely. It offers you peace by blocking unwanted calls and text messages. You can also hide designated contacts and control what others see on your phone using the privacy controls.
Avast! Mobile Security (Free)
From Avast, another anti-virus giant comes this free android application that promises to keep your smartphone safe. It scans installed apps and memory card content on demand and new apps when you install them. Using the anti-theft feature, you can use either SMS or the web to perform functions like tracking, alarm activation or even remote wipe. The easy-to-use app also scans URLs and warns you if it is malware infected. You get features like a network meter that measures incoming and outgoing data transfers, an app manager to monitor app sizes, memory usage etc, and SMS/call filters. Since you can set up a widget on the desktop, you can easily control the app without having to jump into it every single time.
F-Secure Mobile Security (Rs 750)
F-Secure is another great application that provides security to your smartphone. The ‘premium security suite’ which boasts of ‘top detection rate, good feature set and low performance use’ is good at protecting confidential content on your android smartphone or tablet. The browsing protection feature gives you peace of mind by protecting you from malware and phishing sites. Unlike other anti virus apps, it has parental control feature that will protect children from unsuitable web content. You also get the standard remote tracking and locking, and protection from unwanted or harmful text messages and calls. And for that money you will also get online chat support.
Dr.Web Anti-Virus Light (Free)
Another great application that offers full or custom scanning of files and folders, real-time scanning using the SpIDer Guard monitor whenever new files are saved, and detects new malware using the proprietary Origins Tracing technology. The app has a small foot print and offers a quarantined area to which all detected malware can be moved and you are given a list of detected threats and actions performed. The app can be accessed from desktop widgets.
- South block watch
- Greasepaint fails to hide K-town tension
- T M Soundararajan: An Alchemist who mixed melodies with emotions
- Srinivasan's Kolkata connect
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion
- Maoist attack: Kidnapped Chhattisgarh Congress chief, son found dead, toll 27
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Sonia shocked, PM offers help to Raman
- Vidya Balan to go gangsta?
- Siddaramaiah inducts SR Patil into Karnataka State Cabinet