BMW tops in India, again
By Ammar Alvi
13th January 2013 12:00 AM
It was a very close finish for the top three luxury German auto manufacturers, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, as they competed to claim the coveted No. 1 spot. In the end, it was the BMW for the fourth consecutive year to come out as India’s favourite luxury car maker. Ammar Alvi has more.
With 9375 cars delivered to customers in the calendar year 2012, BMW India has maintained its momentum in the Indian luxury car market for the fourth consecutive year. The new 3 and the 5 series were the most popular models, while X1 was also amongst the best-selling models for 2012.
According to Philipp von Sahr, President, BMW Group, “The success of BMW India has always been built on long-term thinking and responsible action. BMW has emerged as the strongest and the most-coveted brand in the luxury car segment in India with the most desirable product portfolio and an efficient dealer network. Following a vision of sustainable growth and product superiority, we have continuously transformed our ability to be a value-driven, customer-focussed and performance-oriented organisation.”
According to the company, BMW India will resolutely expand its CKD product range and cover all opportunities in the luxury car segment which are relevant. In 2013, BMW India will launch the new BMW X1, the new BMW 7 Series and the BMW 1 Series that will further strengthen BMW’s product portfolio in India. The new BMW 7 Series and the BMW 1 Series will be locally produced at BMW plant in Chennai.
As far as the number two slot was concerned, Audi pipped its German counterpart Mercedes Benz by more than 1800 units by selling 9003 units in 2012.
According to Michael Perschke, Head, Audi India, “We had set a target of 8000 cars for 2012, but achieved that target by November. Our strong performance is due to our diverse product portfolio, network expansion, unique marketing activities and after-sales service at par with global standards." We have leadership presence in markets like the NCR, Gujarat and Maharashtra.”
- India's poor need more purchasing power, not doles
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair