Tollywood 2011: Mahesh Babu rules!
By Express Features
25th December 2011 09:54 AM
Actor of the Year: Mahesh Babu
The most bankable star has set the cash registers ringing so fast and furious as to make even the slumbering taxman sit up and take notice. His latest release, 'Dookudu', grossed Rs 25 crore in the first week and Rs 100 crore in 50 days — a first for a Telugu film. It silenced his self-styled competitors. On the flip side, the taxman was only too happy to pay a visit to the star and his producers.
Villain Of the Year: Jackie Shroff:
Though a number of Bollywood actors—from Sonu Sood to Jackie Shroff—have come down to take on the heroes of the south, the element of surprise and novelty besides of course intensity in the portrayal of a vengeful don in Panjaa have made Jackie the villain of Tollywood.
Actress of the Year: Samantha Ruth Prabhu
This girl from Chennai stormed Tollywood with her debut Ye Maya Chesave last year and hasn’t looked back since. Her latest film, Dookudu, has smashed all records making Samantha the new ‘hit’ girl, and giving Anushka Shetty, the reigning No. 1, a run for her money.
Director of the Year: Srinu Vaitla
The man who prefers to maintain a low profile is now one of the most sought-after directors. Though one reason cited for Dookudu’s smashing success is the failure of others, Vaitla is perceived as a director who knows the comic pulse of the people like no other. Vaitla is now booked for the next three years.
Song of the Year: Panjaa
Pawan Kalyan’s 'Panjaa' may have got mixed reviews but its title song, Panjaa, is ruling the airwaves. Composed by Ilayaraja’s son Yuvan Shankar Raja, it has not only elevated the film but has also got youngsters grooving to its racy tune.
Hit of the Year: 'Dookudu'
Despite a thin story line and long-winding sentimental plot, garnered `100 crore in 50 days, raising the bar for a Telugu film. Directed by Srinu Vaitla, the film’s USP was undoubtedly Mahesh and his comic timing.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- Western Ghats: Gadgil’s missive to Kasturirangan opens fresh debate
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix