Big Tamil Melody Awards: Big stars great melodies
By Venkadesan S, TNIE
30th June 2012 03:27 PM
The biggest gift for the audiences at the Big Tamil Melody Awards 2012 was the compliance of awardees to perform readily on demand. Alap Raju, who was given the Best Debut Singer Award for the song 'Ennamo yedho' from 'Ko', performed the song, accompanying himself on the guitar. Veteran singer L R Easwari sang the whole 'Kalasala' song when she was actually asked to render two lines, after her comeback track from 'Osthi' was given the Best Entertaining Song Award. Such performances were spread across the evening that honoured the best talents in the Tamil film music industry.
The song 'Sara sara sara kaathu' from 'Vaagai Sooda Vaa' was undoubtedly the song of 2011. While singer Chinmayee and lyricist Vairamuthu won the Best Singer and the Best Lyricist awards respectively for the song, composer Gibran won the Best Debut Music Director Award for the same. Music director James Vasanthan, who conferred the award upon Gibran, said it would have been a shock had the latter not won the award. Niranjan Bharathi won the Best Debut Lyricist for the song 'Kannadi nee kanjaadai naan' from 'Mankatha'.
SP Balasubrahmanyam won the Best Melody Singer Male Award for 'Yemma yemma kadhal Kannamma' from '7aum Arivu'. Na Muthukumar and G V Prakash were given the best music director-lyricist combo award for having worked together in many films right from Veyil to Saguni. While Harris Jayaraj was presented with the Best Melody Music director for 'Engeyum Kaadhal' (it also won the Best Melody Award), Yuvan Shankar Raja was adjudged the most popular composer. He was also credited with the Best Background Score for 'Aaranya Kaandam'.
BIG FM RJs Balaji and Ophelia played hosts for evening and had the audience engaged throughout with their witty interaction. SPB mesmerised the gathering with his ever young voice by rendering his hit numbers.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham