Now Mani Ratnam's 'Kadal' faces protest by Christian outfit
By PTI - CHENNAI
04th February 2013 07:16 PM
After protests by Muslim outfits against Kamal Haasan's controversial Tamil film 'Vishwarooopam', ace director Mani Ratnam's 'Kadal' (Sea) is now facing opposition from a Christian outfit whcih is piqued over some scenes in the movie.
Indian Christian Democratic Party alleged the film had objectionable scenes referring to Christianity and sought their deletion and warned of intensifying their protests if police do not initiate action.
They submitted a memorandum to police in this regard today.
'Kadal' is the latest offering of Ratnam and has actors Arjun and Aravind Samy in leading roles besides Gautham and Thulasi, children of yesteryear stars Karthik and Radha.
Haasan's 'Vishwaroopam' had faced hurdles after Muslim groups opposed it claiming the film offended their sentiments.
The state government had banned it, following which Haasan moved the Madras High Court. A single judge's order of allowing its release was struck down by a bench.
Haasan and the Muslim outfits arrived at a compromise at a government-brokered meeting on Saturday. Following this, the actor withdrew his petition today against the ban and announced that the trilingual Rs 100-crore movie would be released in Tamil Nadu on Feb 7.
The actor made the announcement soon after both he and government withdrew their petitions before the High Court.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes