Rajnikanth backs Kamal Haasan, speaks against banning the film
By PTI - CHENNAI
25th January 2013 02:46 PM
Backing actor-director Kamal Haasan, Tamil superstar Rajnikanth today spoke against a complete ban of his controversial movie "Vishwaroopam" and appealed to his "Muslim brothers" to end the impasse through talks.
The 'Enthiran' star described Haasan as his 40-year friend and said he knew him as a person who does not hurt anybody.
"The fact that Kamal Haasan held a special screening of the movie to Muslim brothers meeting their demand despite being cleared by the Censor Board shows his respect for the community," Rajnikanth said in a statement here.
He said his heart went out for his peer for the hardships faced by Haasan in investing around Rs 100 crore towards production of the movie.
"Kamal is not an ordinary artiste. He is a great artiste who had taken Tamil cinema to the global level. I request my Muslim brothers to factor in this and change their stand of demanding for a complete ban.
"I request them to help him in releasing the film by having talks with him upon his return (from the US) and by making corrections to the film without affecting its storyline," he said while extending his Meelad-un-Nabi greetings.
Tamil Nadu government has banned screening of the film for two weeks following protests from Muslim groups who alleged that the community was depicted in a bad light in the movie, prompting Haasan to move the court.
The Madras High Court had yesterday stayed the release of the film till January 28, with the Judge scheduled to watch the film on Saturday.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves